NOTE 1: The ban for persons who have stayed in the United Kingdom (the UK) on boarding for Hong Kong would be lifted on 7 May 2021 (Friday). Flights would be resumed for Hong Kong residents to board for Hong Kong. Returnees would be subject to the most stringent compulsory quarantine and testing arrangements upon arrival at Hong Kong. For details, please click here.
The HKSAR government has introduced travel restrictions and health quarantine arrangements for inbound travellers from overseas to prevent further importation of cases.
1. Starting from 0.00 a.m., on 25 March 2020 (HK time), except for Hong Kong residents, all travellers arriving Hong Kong by flights from overseas countries/territories will be denied entry. The same restriction will also apply to non-Hong Kong residents travelling to Hong Kong from the Mainland of China, Macao and Taiwan who have been to any overseas countries/territories in the past 14 days. The above temporary restrictions will remain in force until further notice.
2. Starting from 0.00 a.m., on 1 October 2020 (HK time), a HK resident travelling from the UK to HK is required to undergo a nucleic acid test for COVID-19 and present the following documents before being checked-in for the flight to HK. The same requirements apply to a HK resident who has stayed in the UK during the 14 days before boarding the flight to HK:
I. a test report, in English or Chinese, issued by a laboratory or healthcare institution, bearing the name of the relevant traveller identical to that in his/her valid travel document to show that:
II. if the relevant report is not in English or Chinese or does not contain all of the aforementioned information, a written confirmation, in English or Chinese, issued by the laboratory or healthcare institution, bearing the name of the relevant traveller identical to that in his/her valid travel document, setting out all of the aforementioned information and presented together with the test report; and
III. documentary proof, in English or Chinese, to show that the laboratory or healthcare institution is ISO 15189 accredited or is recognised or approved by any one of the following authorities:
IV. the relevant traveller has confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 14 days starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong.(see para 6 and 7 below for further information).
Further details are set out here
As advised by the UK Government, you should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to Hong Kong. A private test is to be arranged.
From late October 2020, Collinson, in partnership with Swissport, offer a pre-departure rapid LAMP testing facility at Terminal 2 and Terminal 5 of Heathrow Airport for travellers from UK to Hong Kong. The test must be pre-booked from here. Whilst it is expected that the test result will be ready in about an hour's time, you are strongly urged to allow for sufficient time for the test as well as relevant check-in procedures. Please check with your relevant airline on the arrangement if required. For details about this test, please click here.
Alternatively, you may consider arranging for a test at a healthcare institution in the UK. When looking for testing service on the market, please take care to ascertain with the concerned laboratory or healthcare institution that the test report and the documentary proof to be provided will meet all the requirements as set out in para. 2 above.
Whilst London ETO is not in a position to recommend or endorse any private laboratory or healthcare institution, it is understood that some healthcare institutions (listed in alphabetical order blow) have indicated that they may be able to provide the testing service that meets the requirements. The list is provided only for general reference to assist Hong Kong residents with their research for providers of the testing service. It is by no means exhaustive, and is subject to change at any time as availability of service by private laboratories and healthcare institutions is market driven. None of the service providers listed should be construed as providers endorsed or recommended by our office.
|+44 (0)20 7183 0244|
|Corona Test Centre||https://www.coronatestcentre.com/||+44 (0)20 3514 1695|
|The Hale Clinic||https://www.haleclinic.com/pcr-test-for-travel||+44 (0)20 7631 0156|
|Harley Street Health Centre||https://www.harleyhealthcentre.com/blood-tests/coronavirus-testing||+44 (0)20 7323 1023
|London General Practice||https://www.thelondongeneralpractice.com/fit-to-fly/||+44 (0)20 7935 1000
|Midland Health||https://midlandhealth.co.uk/tests-and-diagnostics/covid-19/travel-certificate/||+44 (0)12 1769 0999|
|Newington Pharmacy*||https://www.newingtonpharmacy.org.uk/covid-19-pcr-testing-kit-consultation-form/||+44 (0)80 0702 2638
+44 (0)77 9676 6649 (SMS text)
|Nomad Travel||https://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/travel-store/coronavirus/pcr-test||+44 (0)13 4155 5061|
|Private Harley Street Clinic Limited||http://www.privateharleystreetclinic.com||+44 (0)20 3916 5990
|The Smart Clinic||https://www.thesmartclinics.co.uk/services/covid-tests/||+44 (0)20 7052 0070
|Vivo Clinic||https://vivoclinic.com/shop/tests/#||+44 (0)33 3012 4503
+44 (0)33 3305 8486
|walkin-clinic||https://walkin-clinic.co.uk/blood-tests/covid19-testing||+44 (0)20 3131 7314
+44 (0)20 3131 8363
*Only home test kits available.
3. Travellers are also required to submit the “Health & Quarantine Information Declaration Form” 48 hours before arrival and download the health declaration result in the form of a QR code (valid for 48 hours only). They will need to submit the health declaration result to the staff of the Department of Health upon arrival at the Hong Kong International Airport.
4. From 22 December 2020, all travellers arriving in Hong Kong from other countries outside China are required to undergo the compulsory quarantine at designated quarantine hotels (see the list of designated hotels for the third cycle from 21 April to 19 June 2021 from here). A room reservation should be made in a designated quarantine hotel starting from the date of arrival after confirming the date of return to Hong Kong and the booking confirmation should be presented to the airline before boarding, or else one will be refused to board. For details, please visit this website.
5. The designated quarantine hotels can only receive the inbound travellers arriving in Hong Kong from countries outside China who are subject to compulsory quarantine and the Government will also arrange designated transportation for sending them to designated quarantine hotels.
6. For persons who arrived at Hong Kong from the UK from 7 May 2021, they will be required to (a) undergo compulsory quarantine for 21 days in a designated quarantine hotel; (b) self-monitor in the subsequent 7 days; and (c) do 4 tests during the 21-day compulsory quarantine and another test on the 26th day of arrival at Hong Kong.
7. Starting from 4.00am on 18 August 2020, travellers arriving at the Hong Kong International Airport will be required to proceed to the Temporary Specimen Collection Centre (TSCC) set up in the restricted area of the Airport for issuance of quarantine order and collection of specimen. They will need to stay at the TSCC to wait for test results and the waiting time could be up to 12 hours or more, you are kindly advised to bring along all necessities, especially medications and their record, of sufficient quantities before boarding the plane. For details, please click here.