The HKSAR government has introduced travel restrictions and health quarantine arrangements for inbound travellers from overseas to prevent further importation of cases.
1. Starting from 0.00 a.m., on 25 March 2020 (HK time), except for Hong Kong residents, all travellers arriving Hong Kong by flights from overseas countries/territories will be denied entry. The same restriction will also apply to non-Hong Kong residents travelling to Hong Kong from the Mainland of China, Macao and Taiwan who have been to any overseas countries/territories in the past 14 days. The above temporary restrictions will remain in force until further notice.
2. Starting from 0.00 a.m., on 26 October 2020 (HK time), a HK resident travelling from Russia to HK is required to undergo a nucleic acid test for COVID-19 and present the following documents before being checked-in for the flight to HK. The same requirements apply to a HK resident who has stayed in Russia during the 14 days before boarding the flight to HK. Please kindly note that 26 June 2021 onwards, the relevant test must be a polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based nucleic acid test. Results of tests conducted using other testing platforms (e.g. reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification, RT-LAMP) cannot be considered to have fulfilled the relevant specified boarding requirement.
I. A test report, in English or Chinese, issued by a laboratory or healthcare institution, bearing the name of the relevant traveller identical to that in his/her valid travel document to show that:
II. If the relevant report is not in English or Chinese or does not contain all of the aforementioned information, a written confirmation, in English or Chinese, issued by the laboratory or healthcare institution, bearing the name of the relevant traveller identical to that in his/her valid travel document, setting out all of the aforementioned information and presented together with the test report; and
III. Documentary proof, in English or Chinese, to show that the laboratory or healthcare institution is ISO 15189 accredited or is recognised or approved by any one of the following authorities:
IV. The relevant traveller has confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 14 days starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong. (see para 6 and 7 below for further information).
Further details are set out here.
3. Travellers are also required to submit the “Health & Quarantine Information Declaration Form” 48 hours before arrival and download the health declaration result in the form of a QR code (valid for 48 hours only). They will need to submit the health declaration result to the staff of the Department of Health upon arrival at the Hong Kong International Airport. Starting from 15 September 2021, travellers can declare their non-local COVID-19 vaccination record* whilst conducting this form. Officers at control points will check the proof of non-local vaccination record of the relevant inbound traveller upon his or her arrival in Hong Kong, and they will be issued
a compulsory quarantine order together with a vaccination record QR code for local use at the same time.
*For acceptable vaccines for registration, please click here.
4. From 22 December 2020, all travellers arriving in Hong Kong from other countries outside China are required to undergo the compulsory quarantine at designated quarantine hotels (see the list of designated hotels for the fourth cycle from 20 June to 31 August 2021 from here; and the list of designated hotels for the fifth cycle from 1 September to 30 November 2021 from here). A room reservation should be made in a designated quarantine hotel starting from the date of arrival after confirming the date of return to Hong Kong and the booking confirmation should be presented to the airline before boarding, or else one will be refused to board. For details, please visit this website.
5. The designated quarantine hotels can only receive the inbound travellers arriving in Hong Kong from countries outside China who are subject to compulsory quarantine and the Government will also arrange designated transportation for sending them to designated quarantine hotels.
6. From 16 July 2021, all persons who have stayed in Russia (very high-risk Group A2 specified place) on the day of boarding for Hong Kong or during the 21 days before that day, regardless of being fully vaccinated or not, have to present at boarding a negative result proof of a polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based nucleic acid test for COVID-19 conducted within 72 hours before the scheduled time of departure of the aircraft, as well as the confirmation of a room reservation for 21 nights in a designated quarantine hotel in Hong Kong. They will be subject to 21-day compulsory quarantine at designated quarantine hotels, with four tests to be conducted during the period, followed by a seven-day self-monitoring period as well as compulsory testing on the 26th day of arrival at Hong Kong at any Community Testing Centre. From 9 August 2021, only fully vaccinated Hong Kong residents will be allowed to board flights from Russia to Hong Kong, and they will be subject to the same boarding, quarantine and testing requirements as listed above. For details, please refer to this press release.
7. Between 12 May 2021 to 15 July 2021, the testing and quarantine arrangement would be different for fully vaccinated persons who arrived at Hong Kong from Russia (Group B specified place). Please refer to the table below for details: -
|Vaccination||Compulsory quarantine duration at designated hotel||Self monitoring after completion of compulsory quarantine||Virus Testing|
|Person who have stayed in Russia (between 12 May 2021 to 15 July 2021)||Not Completed||21 Days||Not Applicable||4 tests during compulsory quarantine|
|Completed||14 days||7 days||3 tests during compulsory quarantine + 16th day; 19th day|
8. Starting from 4.00am on 18 August 2020, travellers arriving at the Hong Kong International Airport will be required to proceed to the Temporary Specimen Collection Centre (TSCC) set up in the restricted area of the Airport for issuance of quarantine order and collection of specimen. They will need to stay at the TSCC to wait for test results and the waiting time could be up to 12 hours or more, you are kindly advised to bring along all necessities, especially medications and their record, of sufficient quantities before boarding the plane. For details, please click here.